Gum Recontouring – Herndon, VA
Giving Your Smile a More Beautiful Gum Line
If you feel self-conscious about your smile, it may not be that it’s because of your teeth. Your gums make up a big part of your overall smile, and when they’re uneven or your gum line is “too gummy,” it can have you hiding from any and all social situations. While you often hear about solutions for improving the look of your teeth (teeth whitening, veneers, crowns), what can you do about your gums? At Premier Dental Care, we offer gum recontouring! Dr. Farshad Bakhtyari is a cosmetic dentist in Herndon who is highly skilled and trained at reshaping gum lines and transforming smiles. If you’re ready for a change, let us help! Contact our office to schedule a consultation today.
How Gum Recontouring Works
When searching for someone who performs this type of procedure, it’s important that you move forward with a cosmetic dentist who is skilled, trained, and qualified. To begin, Dr. Bakhtyari will administer local anesthesia to numb your gums and ensure you are comfortable throughout the procedure.
Using a soft tissue laser, he will remove any excess gum tissue, allow your teeth to appear lengthened. This type of laser enables dentists to not only reshape your gum line, but it also seals the tissue and prevents additional bleeding.
Why Someone Might Be a Good Candidate for This Procedure
If you have the following, you may be considered a viable candidate for gum recontouring:
- If you have uneven gums or a gummy smile in Herndon: Whether caused by genetics or prescription medications, this type of gum issue can cause your teeth to appear smaller than they should. Gum recontouring can reshape your gums, giving you a more aesthetically pleasing smile.
- If you have periodontal disease. When receding gums leave your teeth vulnerable to decay, infection, and even tooth loss, this procedure can remove any gum pockets that have formed and seal off the tissue to prevent future infection.
The Overall Benefits
- It’s less invasive – In the past, dentists used a scalpel to cut directly into the tissue. Not only was it a lengthy procedure, but it required a longer recovery time. Using a soft tissue laser, it makes the procedure quicker and allows dentists to address multiple teeth at one time.
- Pain is minimal – Should you experience any pain or discomfort after the procedure, it can typically be managed with over-the-counter pain relievers.
- Bleeding is also minimal – With a soft tissue laser, it immediately cauterizes the tissue, making it easier and quicker to recover.
- Increased confidence – Being unhappy with your smile can lower your self-esteem, making it almost impossible to want to be around others. But with gum recontouring, you can feel confident in your smile once again.