We’ve all been there…that horrible moment when someone calls you out for having bad breath! It’s always cringeworthy and all you want to do is curl up and hide – we get it! Bad breath is very common but it can be avoided. We have 5 ways to beat bad breath so you’ll never have to be put in that awkward position ever again…
- Get Rid of Any Cavities: Cavities are the number one cause of bad breath. It may sound obvious but if you brush and floss then you get rid of the trapped food and bacteria that lead to cavities and cause bad breath. We advise that you brush your teeth at least twice a day (after meals and before going to bed at night). Also, regular check-ups and x-rays are important to diagnose any leaking restorations or areas of decay.
- Rinse Your Mouth Out: Don’t forget t rinse your mouth after you brush and floss. Besides freshening your breath, a mouthwash adds extra protection by getting rid of bacteria. A fresh minty taste can make you feel more confident. But be sure the mouthwash you choose kills the germs that cause bad breath.
- Scrape Your Tongue: The coating that normally forms on your tongue can be a host for smelly bacteria. To get rid of them, gently brush your tongue with your toothbrush.If your brush is too big to comfortably reach the back of your tongue, try a scraper. This helps to remove bacteria, food debris, and dead cells that brushing alone cannot take care of effectively.
- Drink Water: Drinking plenty of water is not only good for your health it’s great for the health of your mouth. Drinking water after you eat can get rid of food particles that get stuck in your teeth. The trapped food can cause bacteria and bad breath so clear it away with some fresh water.
- Avoid Foods That Cause Bad Breath: Everything you consume gets absorbed into your bloodstream only to reappear when you breathe and speak. Avoid ingredients like garlic, onions and other spicy foods that are pungent and so
me of the worst offenders. Vegetables and herbs with high water content such as celery, carrots and parsley can help flush your mouth of debris that can cause bad breath.
We know that taking proper care of your teeth and practicing good oral hygiene at home can help you maintain your optimal dental health, as well as prevent tartar build-up and periodontal or gum disease from developing.
It is always advised to see Dr. Bakhtyari and the hygienists at Premier Dental Care in Herndon for cleanings and examinations twice yearly. But your personal oral care starts by eating regular, balanced meals (low in sugar, high in fiber) and learning to correctly use your tooth brush and floss for maximum results. Of course, if you have a severe and ongoing case of bad breath, you should contact us and so we can ensure it’s nothing more serious.